History of De Huisman

Windmill De Huisman was built around 1786 and was situated at the Blauwe Pad in Zaandam. It had several functions throughout the years. Originally it was built as a snuff (tobacco) mill. It has also functioned as a mustard mill, and between 1912 and 1940 it was used for sawing wood. The windmill functioned not only on wind, but was also provided with a gas engine which was later replaced by an electric engine.

Afther the Second World War De Huisman was in decay and besides this, the whole area around the Blauwe Pad was marked as an area for urban renewal. 


The mill was torn down, and the body and tower top section of the mill were used in rebuilding the mill at the Kalverringdijk, Zaanse Schans, in 1955.
On this Kalverringdijk 18th century paper warehouse De Haan (the rooster) was situated. This warehouse was utilized to function as a substructure for the mill. Quite simply a part of the roof was sawn out, a small support structure was made, after which the mill was placed on top of the warehouse. 


At the Zaanse Schans the mill was established as mustard mill, with the train of spice mill Het Indies Welvaren. Until 1960 De Huisman was active as a spice grinding mill. After this date the mill was leased by the municipality of Zaandam, then owner, to grind the famous Zaanse mustard (by electric engine). In 1963 ownership of the mill was transferred to De Zaansche Molen association.

site by swell.nl